After this morning’s #ThrowbackTuesday, let’s look forward again to the Earl Center for Learning & Innovation. After all, the exciting grand opening is tomorrow!Â #LookForwardWednesday?Â Can that be a thing?
The new Earl Center for Learning and Innovation is the bright, airy learning space the Resource Center (read about it!) now calls home. The new Center combines all the services, collections, and functionality of the old facility with exciting new technologies for learning and teaching. Such tools as iPads, touchscreens, and collaborative technology workspaces will greatly enhance the teaching and learning experience for Wheelock students as they produce their own their own work and as they develop learning materials and experiences to take to their practica.
The Earl Center layout and furnishings are focused on flexibility and collaboration.
Lightweight, mobile seating and tables allows the creation of small collaborative spaces as needed. Mobile whiteboards can be moved into the workspace for brainstorming sessions. Display screens throughout the Center can be used for collaborative project development or to display videos or Internet resources for a class.
While the Earl Center layout is a single, large, open space, sliding glass panels can create separate classroom or workshop spaces. The glass panels allow for three different configurations that can be used not only for presentations and events for current students and faculty, but also for continuous learning opportunities for Wheelock alumni and teachers from area schools.
The vision for the Earl Center for Learning and Innovation is to be a place…
- Where innovative technology can be used for creating and implementing learning experiences
- Where the inventive spirit is fosteredÂ into a practiced skill
- To explore new technology and familiar materials and invent new uses for them
- That nurtures nimble, resourceful practice
- Where faculty and students can share and discover the possibilities of the 21st century classroom
The Resource Center/Earl Center for Learning and Innovation has and always will be a placeâ€¦
- Where the needs of all learners are at the center of our work
- That nurtures exploration and discovery
- Where faculty and students collaborate to grow together
- Where resourcefulness, invention, and responsiveness are valued and practiced
- To connect theoretical knowledge with hands-on application
- That combines timeless educational methods with innovative and cutting-edge methods approaches
- That recognizes and addresses the ever changing and diverse needs of children
Check out our previous post about the Resource Center: