In July, the Archives installed an exhibition on Wheelock history for the College’s Center for Scholarship and Research. The Wheelock College Archives contains materials documenting the history of the College, including the memorabilia of its founder, Lucy Wheelock, and houses a collection of rare children’s literature and scholarly books on education and the child.
By examining the development of Wheelock College from a one-room kindergarten training school to an institution with a more broad-ranging focus, this exhibition looks first at the course of study at the Wheelock School (or Miss Wheelock’s Kindergarten Training School, as it was known when it was founded in 1888) which changed little before the 1920s. The curriculum during this time prominently featured works focusing on philosophies and educational methods first proposed by the German educator Frederick Froebel, as well as studies of the history of early childhood education in the United States – and kindergarten education in particular.
The mission of the College is to improve the lives of children and families. We hope this exhibit offers a glimpse into the history of Wheelock and its mission. Visit the exhibit at the Center for Scholarship and Research on Wheelock’s Brookline campus and let us know what you think.
For more information, contact the Wheelock College Archives.
–Andrew Elder, Archivist