The Records of Faculty, Administration, and Staff are organized into five series:
Series I:Directories, Handbooks and Guides
This series contains faculty directories, orientation guides, handbooks, resource lists, and home addresses.
Series II: Committees and Organizational Activities
This series contains meeting minutes and memoranda from various faculty committees and retreats.
Series III Faculty Development
Subseries 1. National Endowment for the Humanities “Renaissance” Seminars
This subseries contains correspondence, memos, proposals, evaluation reports, syllabi and miscellaneous materials from a series of three seminars funded by the NEH aimed at improving the teaching of humanities at Wheelock College.
Series IV: Clipping, Biographies and Collections
This series contains articles, memoranda, clippings and biographical material by and about staff, faculty, and administration of Wheelock College and is organized alphabetically by last name.
Series V: Faculty Papers
This series contains the personal materials of Wheelock faculty. The series is organized into two subseries.
Subseries 1. Gwen Morgan Papers
This subseries contains the papers of Gwen Morgan, a professor at Wheelock and Director of the Center for Career Development in Early Care and Education.
Subseries 2. Marcia Folsom Papers
This subseries contains the papers of Wheelock Humanities professor Marcia Folsom.
Lucy Wheelock founded the Wheelock Kindergarten Training School in Boston, Mass., in 1888. A professionally active and accomplished faculty has characterized Wheelock from its inception, and the number of faculty has grown steadily. In 1940 faculty consisted of 7 full-time teachers and 19 part-time lecturers. Just five years later, in 1945, full-time faculty had risen to 18 individuals.
Beginning in the late 1950s and early 1960s, the twenty faculty members were encouraged to use formal academic rank for the first time. Faculty was first organized into departments in 1964-1965. A systematic tenure and promotion process was introduced in the 1970s, when the number of full-time faculty nearly doubled, from 26 in 1975 to 55 in 1982.
In 2003, Wheelock College full-time faculty consisted of 61 individuals, 84% of whom held doctorates in their fields. An additional 25 part-time and 42 adjunct faculty taught or supervised fieldwork. Reflecting Wheelock’s commitment to diversity, 20.23% of faculty in 2003 was people of color.
Restrictions: Access to the collection is unlimited. Researchers are allowed to view all pieces of the collection. The archive is open by appointment only. Call the Reference Librarian at (617) 879-2222 to make an appointment.
Rights: Requests to publish material from the collection should be submitted to the Library Director.
Acquisition Note: Source: The collection was the donation of Wheelock alumnae, faculty, and staff..